Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Wanna build a kindergarten?

I read my fair share of blogs. Even use Google Reader to keep track of them all. Most are blogs written by friends or those I wish were my friends... but a few like Cake Wrecks and Stuff Christians Like I read for a daily dose of humor.

So yesterday I was catching up on my blog reading and discovered that I missed a miracle in the works... Jon Acuff, author of the often hysterical entries on Stuff Christians Like, wrote a post about a conversation with his kindergarten-aged daughter as she discovered that there are children in the world who are starving. Her reaction made him realize that he needed to do something. And that something I am going to shameless encourage you to participate in.

Jon decided to partner with a Christian relief organization called Samaritan's Purse and tap into the huge numbers of people who read his blog on a regular basis (potentially up to 75,000 folks)... Samaritan's Purse suggested raising money to support a project in Vietnam to build a kindergarten for 240 little kids in the Hoang Then village. The cost of the project totals $30,000. He hoped to raise the money by Dec. 31st.

Here's the miracle. Are you ready?
He raised the money in 18 hours.

By the time I read his post and thought to myself, "Self, maybe you should give $5 or $10 to this project", and then went to the website to donate... all the money had already be raised. Simply awesome.

I decided to donate my money anyway.

Overwhelmed with the response, Jon has decided to push the envelope a little further and try to raise another $30,000 to build a second kindergarten... the goal now being $60,000 by Dec. 31st.


Will you help? Your donation doesn't need to be large... most of those donating are giving less than $20... and the end result will be completely worth it!

Here are a few helpful links...
Charity Navigator's evaluation of Samaritan's Purse

0 comments: